Donate Your Old Set of Wheels to Keep Our Music Moving!

Carmina, Inc. has partnered with Vehicles for Charity to accept the charitable donation of most kinds of vehicles. Benefits include a haggle- and hassle-free process for you, a financial boost for Carmina and Illuminare, a charitable deduction for your tax returns, and the satisfaction of knowing you are making a real difference in the vitality of early music in the capital area.

It's as easy as following the link at right.

Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

What are the benefits of donating my vehicle?

Carmina, Inc. benefits by receiving a cash donation to fund new and existing programs and increase community awareness through local events.

You benefit by being able to reduce your taxable income when taxes are itemized. Plus you avoid the costs associated with selling your car. No need to pay for advertising, no loss of privacy and possible security risk, and no need to pay for vehicle registration, insurance, and repairs to keep your car in running condition while you wait for a buyer.

Does my vehicle have to be running to donate it?

In some cases we can take your car, running or not. However, it must have an engine and be tow-able. Contact a representative at 1 866 628 2277 to find out if your vehicle qualifies for pick-up.

Do you only accept cars for donation?

No. Many types of motor vehicles are accepted including boats, motorcycles, trucks, and cars. If you are uncertain whether your vehicle is eligible, please contact the vehicle donation program toll free at 1 866 628 2277.

How long will it take to pick up my vehicle?

We make donating your car as simple and convenient as possible. A tow company will contact you within two to three business days. Call our representatives at 1 866 628 2277.

Do I have to be with the vehicle at the time of pickup?

No. Special arrangements can be made by calling our representative.

What paperwork do I need?

The only paperwork needed is a signed, clear title—that is, a title that is in the name of the donor and free of liens. Have your title with you when you call your donation in.

Do I need a smog certificate in order to donate my car?

For states that require smog certificates or safety inspections, you may donate your vehicle without these documents.

Tax Questions

How does current law effect my tax deduction?

As a donor, you are no longer responsible for determining the deductible value of their donation. Instead, if the proceeds from the sale exceed $500, within 30 days you will receive IRS Form 1098-C, "Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes." It will state the amount of the gross proceeds from the sale of the donated vehicle.

Will I get a tax receipt for my donation?

Yes, our driver will issue a tow receipt at the time of pickup. This initial acknowledgement will indicate your name as well as the year, make, model and condition of the car you are donating. It will be your only receipt if your vehicle sells for less than $500; otherwise you will also receive IRS Form 1098-C as explained above.

What can I claim as a deduction?

According to the tax law in effect since January 1, 2005, if the claimed value of the donated vehicle exceeds $500, the taxpayer is limited to claiming the gross proceeds of the sale.

In that case IRS Form 1098-C, “Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes” will be mailed to you within 30 days of the sale. It will state the amount of gross proceeds received from your car, provided your vehicle sold for more than $500 and you have submitted your social security number.

Please consult your tax preparer about potential limits on your total itemized deductions and about taking itemized versus standard deductions.

How is the value determined on the vehicle donated?

The value is determined by the gross proceeds raised from the sale of the donated vehicle. You no longer have the burden of determining the value yourself.

What if my car is valued over $5000?

Effective January 1, 2005, you are no longer required to have vehicles appraised. The value you may claim will be the amount of gross proceeds received from your vehicle.

What do I do next?

Just call (1) 866-628-2277 for answers to any other questions you may have and to arrange pickup for your donation.